Beginning Family History Step 3-HIDDEN DUPLICATES in FamilySearch-How to FIND and RESOLVE

In 2017 I conducted a hidden duplicate experiment on my first five generations to see how many hidden duplicates I could find in FamilySearch.

This project began because of a failed attempt to help my husband find a new family to add to his FamilySearch tree. I spent some time pre-finding a person for him to research that was without a spouse or children. I did a "Possible Duplicates" search on the individual before I started looking for family and trusted it when it said there were none. I pre-found the family in records and then spent 2.5 hours helping my husband "find" them. 

It wasn't until we added the third child to FamilySearch that the system found a duplicate which was attached to the whole family. It was very discouraging. All that research time was wasted and the temple work was already completed. 

I learned a huge lesson. ALWAYS DO A CAREFUL HIDDEN DUPLICATE SEARCH BEFORE YOU RESEARCH OR ADD ANYONE TO FAMILYSEARCH! Don't have the experience I had in front of someone you are helping outside of your family. I was glad ...and sad it was my husband.

Both my husband and I have lines that are Utah pioneers. Because of this, the likelihood of duplicates in the system is higher because so many posterity may have tried their hand at family history.

This PowerPoint shows some of the duplicates and how I attempted to resolve them. 


I also wrote up a paper with a summary of my findings and my thoughts on how to improve the system.


I encourage you to take on the challenge and let me know your results. I hope the FamilySearch system is getting better and your results are less disturbing!

Some Results:
I have 29 deceased ancestors in my five generations
14 had duplicates, some several duplicates
24 total duplicates, possibly more if the messaging system queries are returned
7 duplicates were for females under a married name instead of a maiden name
Duplicate Ordinance Totals: 26 unnecessary green temple icons, 45 unnecessarily completed temple ordinances, 1 reserved ordinance
Several “stolen hints” (I didn’t think to track this at first)

*Picture-Dean and Dan Caten, acquired from Wikimedia Commons>identical twins

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 10 Handcart Utah Pioneer Companies

Quick, Simple, Fun, and Yet Instructive Family History Ideas

MAY Family History Goal